Saturday, November 15, 2008

Oatmeal Butterscotch Cookies

Last week at Care Group, my friend Johanna baked some delicious Oatmeal Butterscotch Cookies that were a recipe of Cindy McCain's. (I'm really tired at the moment---does that sentence even make sense?) Let me try again...Johanna found a recipe from Cindy McCain (as in the Senator's wife) for Oatmeal Butterscotch cookies. Whew...this pregnancy is getting to me apparently.

My point is that I found the recipe for these delicious babies online and I made them tonight! Yummy! Try them out next time you get the itch to bake...which is so rare for me. They were easy, scrumptous, and just what I was craving!


Ingredients:

* 3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) unsalted butter or margarine, softened
* 3/4 cup granulated sugar
* 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
* 2 eggs
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 3 cups rolled oats
* 1-2/3 cups butterscotch chips


Directions:

1. Heat oven to 375F.

2. In a large bowl beat the butter or margarine, granulated sugar and brown sugar together. Add the eggs and vanilla, beating well.

3. In a medium-size bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture; stir until blended. Stir in oats and butterscotch chips. Drop by tablespoonfuls about 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets.

4. Bake at 375°F for 10 minutes, until the edges begin to brown. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.


A few hours after I baked and we had devoured about half of these beauties, I realized that I added 2 WHOLE STICKS of butter instead of the required 1 1/2. Whoops! I set out two sticks of butter to soften and was on the phone with my mom when I started combining the ingredients. I wasn't paying close attention, but my cookies were good! So, don't be afraid of the butter!
Enjoy.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I recently made these, too! They were pretty good. The extra butter probably made them just that much richer.