Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Pregnancy Update: 21 Weeks

This morning I went bright and early for my 21-week check-up.  Jonathan's parents were so gracious to keep the kids overnight for us since my appointment was so early, which means that Jonathan and I were also able to go on a date.  We had a casual supper at Brixx's pizza, then we picked up a Redbox movie and curled up in bed to watch Inception.  Weird.  That's all I can say.  Good, but weird.

Anyway, I had the BIG ultrasound today where the anatomy scan is performed.  It lasts about 45 minutes, and it basically involves the tech checking every square inch of the baby's body.  She checked our girl's spine, heart, heart valves, brain, stomach, kidneys, umbilical cord and the placenta.  They also checked my cervical length (to be certain my cervix was closed, which it definitely should be at this point), and they checked to make sure that my placenta wasn't covering the cervix (which it wasn't). 

Praise the Lord, our baby girl seems very healthy!  It appears that all of her major organs have formed normally, and there were no indications of complications.  We also double-checked to be sure she was still a girl, and she is!  She weighs about 15 oz.---just shy of 1 lb.---and is about 50th percentile in everything.  Her measurements placed her right on track for how far along I am pregnancy-wise.  So, basically, we are blessed to have a healthy girl who seems to have developed just right and who just needs to stay inside to grow, grow, grow!

I absolutely LOVE seeing my babies on an ultrasound.  I could sit there for hours just watching her move and stretch and yawn.  It was wonderful!

Everything else at the appointment went well.  My blood pressure was low, and my weight gain is on track.  I can definitely tell that my belly is growing or has grown in the past few days.  It's getting more uncomfortable to bend over which wasn't really too bothersome before.  For my next appointment in four weeks I will have to have the 1 hour glucose test to check for gestational diabetes.  Yuck!  It's hard to believe that by that time I'll be 25 weeks. 

I plan to scan the ultrasound pics and show you our pretty girl's face (I even got one 4D shot), so look forward to that soon.

No comments: