Tuesday, June 21, 2011

We Survived!

Yesterday was it!  The very first day where it was me plus three kiddos without anyone else here.  We had some wild and crazy moments, but I must say that God's mercy was all over the day.  It went so much better than I could have hoped.  Stella slept pretty well the night before, and she was still asleep when both kids woke up.  That's one of my fears: being in the middle of nursing her when the other two wake up.  I just picture Liam screaming for me and Nora sitting in her big girl bed crying out for me, getting louder and louder because I am not coming right away.  (Even though she's in a big girl bed, she hasn't realized that she can get out in the mornings without me.  Not quite ready to burst that bubble).

Anyway, so breakfast was fixed while baby girl slept away.  Then....things got a little hairy.  It was kind of humorous, actually.  First, after I fed and changed Stella, I went to go put her in the bouncy seat, and just as I did, she threw up everything.  EVERYTHING.  So, I had to clean her up.  A little while later, Liam took care of his morning business, but with other things going on, it took me a long time to actually getting around to change him.  Then, when I was feeding Stella again (because she was famished after losing all of her breakfast on the kitchen floor), Nora announced that she had to poop.  Since my milk had just let down, I couldn't get up to wipe her bottom.  I asked her if she could do it (a first!), and then I told her I would check her when I was finished.  Ah, life with a preschooler, toddler, and newborn!  Spit up, poopy bottoms, and dirty laundry.  Even though I don't always feel like this, I must say that I wouldn't have it any other way.

The rest of the day went pretty well.  We were totally out of bread and most groceries, so we drove through Chick-fil-a for lunch, had a picnic outside, and went down for naps.  Miraculously, Stella was still asleep, so I was able to get in a 20 minute power nap. Seriously, that was a GIFT!  Nora went to her first swim lesson of the summer after naptime, and my dear, sweet friend Anne picked her up, watched her at the lesson, and brought her home.  To top everything off, a sweet friend brought us a yummy supper. 

At the end of the day, my thoughts were:  we are very blessed and God is very kind.  Yesterday could have looked very differently.  I am thankful that my thoughts were not filled with anxiety and that the Lord gave all of us joy.  I know there are hard days ahead of us, but I keep quoting:  "Do not worry about tomorrow for tomorrow will worry about itself."  God will prove himself in those moments just as is He is right now.  I know there are days ahead where I will feel defeated, exhausted, impatient, and selfish.  I remember back when Liam was a newborn that week 4 was a really difficult week for me.  That timetable is approaching with Stella, so I am trying to mentally prepare myself that hard days may be just around the corner and that things may get even harder before they get better.  I pray that the Lord will help me to overcome myself in those days, pouring out abundant grace and giving me the heart to accept His provision minute by minute.  One day at a time.

As I was thinking about the day, I kept thinking of this silly video that I remember seeing when I was in college.  Anyone else remember this:

No comments: