Thursday, November 1, 2012

Wisdom

Do you ever have those parenting moments when you just aren't sure how to handle things? When your personal knowledge on how to best care for and train your children just runs out? When it seems like what you think is best just doesn't seem to be working?  I have felt that way a lot as a parent, and I am feeling that way a lot lately.  It seems that following what comes naturally to me as a momma isn't connecting with my child.  In fact, it seems to be maybe making things worse.  It's a very humbling position to be in, honestly, and for a person that likes to be successful and do mommyhood well, it's very hard.  I am thankful for these moments, in the midst of the difficulty that they present, because it reminds me that I am not capable.  I am not ABLE to care for me children all by myself.  I am not skilled enough or wise enough or strong enough or gentle enough or loving enough to do this alone.  I am not MADE to be self-sufficient, independent, all-knowing, all-problem-solving, and a guru on children.  PRAISE GOD!

I am aware lately that I am in desperate need of a Savior for my sins, and I am in desperate need of caring for my children.  I know that it's SHOCKING that I need to be reminded of this often, but I am very stubborn and the Lord has to bring this to my attention every so often. 

I am thankful for books out there that Christian authors and parents have written that I can use to seek counsel.  In fact, I just ordered a few books off of Amazon that a precious friend recommended.  I look forward to sitting down with these books in the coming weeks and looking for ways to apply them.  However, even as I sat on the computer researching these books, I felt the Spirit reminding me that books don't hold all of the answers.  I can't find TRUE WISDOM there.  Those books are not my answer, necessarily, and although I have seen the Lord use books countless times to teach me valuable things, I know who the source of true wisdom is.  Christ.  Studying God's Word.  A gift that can only come from God. 

So, in addition to reading some books, I am planning to pray for wisdom.  Here are some verses that I found in the Bible that I will cling to as I pursue growth in this area and as I pursue walking out parenthood one day at a time.


"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom; all those who practice it have a good understanding.  His praise endures forever!"  Psalm 111:10

"For the Lord gives wisdom; from his mouth come knowledge and understanding."  Proverbs 2:6

"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and the knowledge of the Holy One is insight."  Proverbs 9:10

"She opens her mouth with wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue."  Proverbs 31:26

Oh, there are so many more verses that I need to read and meditate on, but these will do for today.
I hope they help you too, if you are in the search for help and wisdom.  Love to you all.

No comments: