Monday, September 15, 2008

God's Big Picture


I am in the middle of a great book that I thought I would recommend to anyone looking for a good read. The book is God's Big Picture: Tracing the Storyline of the Bible by Vaughan Roberts. Now, as I said, I'm not finished yet, but so far this book has been both encouraging and helpful. I am encouraged because the author is taking his readers through a brief, yet thorough review of the Bible's history, reminding me of God's faithfulness, power, and mercy. I am helped because the author is strategic in showing how the Bible fits together. I don't know about you, but I get intimidated by my lack of knowledge of God's Word, and sometimes I feel confused and frustrated about what is going on in certain books and chapters. This book has been great at condensing and explaining the "big picture" of the Bible from beginning to end: Jesus Christ.

Here is an excerpt from the Introduction:

"I am told that when SAS soldiers parachute into unknown territory they are trained to pause before moving. They must first get their bearings and only then set out for their destination. That is wise advice for us too as we read the Bible. My aim in this book is to give you an overview of the main storyline of the Bible. It will not make you an expert in all the details of Scripture, but I hope that it will enable you to get your bearings when you land in any part of it. By the end of this book you should have the outline of the Bible's story in your mind so that, whichever part you are reading, you know where you have come from and where you are heading. That will also help you to discover how each part points to Jesus Christ and the salvation he accomplished."

I hope you are encouraged!

No comments: