Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Glucose, Schmlucose

Last Friday, I had my 24 week check-up with the required glucose test. For those of you who aren't familiar with all of the pregnancy "hoops" you must jump through, the glucose test makes sure that I am not having blood sugar issues brought on by gestational diabetes. It's typically pretty uneventful---you have to drink a really sweet and sugary drink, then wait for an hour. Then, your blood is drawn to test for any problems, and hopefully all is okay. If not, you are required to come back and take another 3 hour glucose test! I don't know what happens after that. I was blessed to have a good test result for my pregnancy with Nora and hopefully that will be the same this go round.

Funny thing. I was sitting in the room drinking my orange-flavored glucose koolaid stuff. It was in a little bottle with about 12 ounces or so of juice. I had the fleeting thought that it seemed that I had more to drink this time than I remembered with Nora, but with my "pregnancy brain" these days, I didn't really think much of it. I was drinking slowly because it is so sickenly sweet, and I can only tolerate small sips at a time. The nurse comes to check on me because apparently things were taking longer than they should have. She and the nurse in charge of my glucose test say a few things back and forth about "the 3 hour test" and I assume they are referring to another patient. A little red flag went up in my head and I decided to make sure they weren't talking about me. Surely not, I was only there for the 1 hour test. They know that! Right?

Oh no! There was some confusion going on there and this nurse thought I was there for the 3 hour. She quickly looked at my chart, then looked at me, and says, "How much did you drink?" I managed to get half of it down. Praise the Lord! I had just enough...maybe a little more than necessary, but thankfully, I didn't finish it all and wouldn't have to wait around for three hours! Whew. My results should be back sometime today, so hopefully no phone calls from the dr.'s office.

Apart from the glucose drama, all else seems great with my little man. I am gaining weight steadily (shocker!) and am measuring a week ahead at 25 weeks. I also heard his precious heartbeat! I have been really impressed with this doctor's office throughout the entire process so far. Every doctor, nurse practitioner, and nurse has been so helpful and kind and informative. Our next appointment is in four weeks. Hard to believe that I'll be 28 weeks at that point! Wow!

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

Yikes!! No one wants to drink more of that stuff than they have to...glad you didn't down all of it. You wouldn't have had to go back and start all over.

When I drank mine with B, I told the nurse that I had a little buzz from it. She looked at me funny, drew my blood and said I didn't have to take the 3 hour test...because I had to go straight to diabetes education. My # was 219! Super high! Funny - it was 108 with twins and not fasting.

(I got the parking pass today-it was 1/2 price....so only a little over $5 each.)