Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Encouragement from Charles Spurgeon

"It is true that our sanctification is a long and continued process, and we shall not be perfected till we lay aside our bodies and enter within the veil; but nevertheless, had the Lord so willed it, He might have changed us from imperfection to perfection, and have taken us to heaven at once. Why then are we here? Would God keep His children out of paradise a single moment longer than was necessary? [. . .] The answer is--[we] are here that [we] may 'live unto the Lord,' and may bring others to know His love. We remain on earth as sowers to scatter good seed; as ploughmen to break up the fallow ground; as heralds publishing salvation. We are here as the 'salt of the earth,' to be a blessing to the world. We are here as workers for Him, and as 'workers together with Him.' Let us see that our life answer its end."

I read this quote just a bit ago and was very encouraged for my current season of life! I am called right now to life my life, live every day "unto the Lord." According to Spurgeon and the Gospel, I am here to glorify God in everything I do. Right now, that is changing diapers, disciplining my almost two-year-old, waking in the early hours of the morning to feed my baby boy, and all else that comes with learning to be a mother to two. I am to sow seeds into the lives of these two precious gifts. With the power of the Holy Spirit, I am helping to break up fallow ground in their hearts. What a task! It helps to be reminded of the bigger picture and to keep my mind on the eternal goals, instead of the daily ones. As a good friend of mine says....it's for tomorrow, not today!

No comments: