Saturday, October 3, 2009

Liam Piper: 5 Months Old






Can you believe that my baby boy is 5 months old? I am in total shock that he is so big! I feel like I just found out I was preggo with this boy. Where has the time go?

Liam Piper is absolutely the sweetest baby in the world. I am totally aware that I am blessed! This boy is so sweet, so kissable, so laid back, so easy going, so content! I could go on for days. He brings such joy to our family and is so loved by his momma, daddy, and big sister! Here are some things going on in little Liam's life these days:

Feedings: Liam is still nursing and is doing such a great job. He now eats every three hours, instead of every 2.5. We've made that subtle change within the past few weeks, and I can't tell you how nice it is to be on a three hour schedule. Thirty minutes makes a big difference! Liam has also started on baby food two times a day. He usually gets some rice cereal/fruit after his first feeding of the day, then he gets some cereal, vegetables, and fruit after his afternoon naptime feeding, usually around 5:30 pm. So far, Liam has had applesauce, pears, sweet potatoes, bananas, squash, avocado, and prunes. His favorites are bananas, squash and sweet potatoes. I gave him the avocado for the first time tonight, and he was NOT a fan! We'll work on that though.

Sleep: Are you ready for this? I am so happy to announce that Liam is now "sleeping through the night." He is put to bed sometime between 8:30-9:00 pm, I nurse him again right before I go to bed (around 10:30-10:45), and then he doesn't eat again until 8:00 am. As I mentioned in a previous post, we had to let Liam "cry it out" for a while because he was constantly waking up at the 2:00-3:00 a.m. hour for no reason except to get his paci. This was extremely hard on me, but the night waking went on for a LONG time, and after just a few nights of crying for a short period until he fell back asleep, Liam now no longer wakes during that wee hour! ALLELUIA! Some mornings, he will stir and sleepy cry for a little bit around 5:00 am, but I am hoping he will get out of that too!

Growth: I am not sure how much Liam weighs these days, but I am guessing he is close to 18 lbs. He is now in 6-9 month clothing, and is wearing a size 2 diaper during the day and a size 3 at night. He should probably be in a size 3 all the time, but I am trying to finish up my last box of size 2 diapers before fully switching over. Nora just moved up to size 4 diapers this summer, so she is still our little petite thing while Liam is our chunkamonk!

Naps: Naps are going much better for Liam than they had been. I also commented on this in a previous post. In short, I am working to watch for Liam's sleepy cues instead of trying to keep him up as long as possible, thinking that the more tired he is, the longer he will nap. Even though that seemed to make sense in my head, it didn't logistically work out that way. But, putting him down earlier for naps than I typically have in the past has been working in our favor. Some days he takes three really good long naps. But, most days, he will take two 2 hour naps, with a shorter nap in between those two big naps, and a short nap around our supper time.

Skills: Liam is a mover and a shaker. He is definitely going to be a crawler, which I am excited about since Nora skipped crawling all together. Liam does so well with tummy time and is really growing stronger in his neck and arms. I love going to check on him while he's napping only to go in and see a head sticking up, looking out at me as I walk in the room. Liam is also rolling a lot from his belly to his back. He probably could, in my opinion, roll from his back to his belly, but he's not interested. I've been trying to be more intentional about putting Liam in the sitting position more often so that he can develop his back muscles. It shouldn't be too much longer before he learns to sit up, so we'll try to give him lots of practice!

Milestones: Liam went on his first family vacation this month! We traveled to Gatlinburg for a long weekend and had a wonderful time. Liam was such a trooper; he slept great, ate well, and just went with the flow! He went to Dollywood, the aquarium, and the Smoky Mountain National Park. This boy has been busy! Liam also went to the Pumpkin Patch today for the first time and got his first pumpkin.

Life as a Little Brother: Liam absolutely adores Nora. He is completely fascinated by her, and his eyes are glued on her the moment she enters the room. Nora really loves Liam, as well, and is such a sweet big sister. She loves to tickle him and hug him, even though I am terrified she is going to squish the stuffing out of him. He never seems to mind, though, just smiles and laughs at her. Nora mimics a lot of the things that I say to Liam. My favorite is when she gets really close to his face and says, "Hey Buddy, Hey Buddy!" It's so sweet! I can't imagine how much fun we will have with them as Liam gets older and they play together even more. I can't wait!

Well, there is the latest with my boy!

I have pics of our adventures with pumpkins to post, but I want to wait until we finish carving our pumpkins. So far, we've picked them, cleaned out the guts, made several varieties of roasted pumpkin seeds, and carved two of our five pumpkins. We are exhausted from a busy day today, but we have had such a wonderful Saturday together as a family!

No comments: