Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Liam Piper: 11 Months to 12 Months

Yes, you read that correctly.  Liam Piper has less than six days until he turns one year old.

Let's pause now and take a moment of silence for the grieving mother in the corner.

Okay, we're back now.

I cannot tell you enough how much we love this little boy.
I cannot tell you enough how he has completely changed our lives for the better.
I cannot tell you enough how different he is from his sister.

He goes by many names is this house:
Liam
Wee-am (since all of Nora's L's sound like w's)
Buddy Man
Liam Pipes
Liam PIPER!!!! (When he's in trouble)
Son
Sir
Master of Destruction
Destructo
Little Jonathan

Months 11 and 12 have been lots of fun with Liam.  He is getting around like a mad man.  He is such a fast crawler, and even though we all thought he'd surely be walking by now, he's not.  And I am so glad about that.  I know that the sooner he is walking, the sooner he'll be running, and the more hair I'll be losing.   (You should see me in a parking lot with Nora.  I'm so paranoid she's going to dart away and into coming traffic.  Oh, and seriously, I say that for every child you have, you need one more arm and two more eyes!)

This is Liam pulling up on my leg wanting to be held as I cooked supper!

Liam is getting much more verbal.  There is very little that we can understand, but this boy sure is a jabber.  (Hmmmm....wonder where that comes from?)  He can say "Dada," "Mama," "Ora," "Gook," (which may be milk, book, dinosaur, vacuum cleaner....I'm not sure, exactly), "Tickle," "Uck," (Truck), "Cah" (Car).  These are very open for interpretation, but according to me, those are the words he says.  As far as signing goes, Liam is very stubborn and refuses to sign unless Jonathan or I take his hands and make him do the motion.  We have only introduced the signs for "more" and "all done" and when we repeat the words and signs a million times, the whole time he just stares at us like we're stupid.  I'm not so sure if that light bulb is ever going to go off, but we keep trying. 

The world of table food has vastly opened before us the past few weeks.  I had been playing things pretty safe in regards to table foods with Liam because he has (had) a very sensitive gag reflex.  It wasn't uncommon for him to choke on a cracker or cheerio or a new food that I was trying to get him to like, and when he got choked up a certain way, out it all came.  Back to an empty belly.  Yuck.  However, since he's so close to being 12 months, I knew I really needed to be better about introducing things regardless of the gag reflex, and so about two weeks ago I started giving him bits and pieces of whatever we were eating.

Here are some of the things that he's eating now:  every kind of fresh fruit we have in the house (bananas, strawberries, cantaloupe, mandarin oranges, grapes, etc.), deli ham and turkey, cheese, waffles, lasagna, ground beef, potatoes, yogurt, bread, avocado, chicken, green beans, broccoli, and more.  At this point we are still having some baby food purees, but I am trying to slowly wean these out of the diet as he eats more and more table food. 

Also this week, I have been trying to switch Liam over to whole cow's milk.  Since he was about 8 months, Liam has been on formula, having several 4 oz. bottles throughout the day and an 8 oz. bottle just before bed.  I introduced a straw sippy cup a while back, and knowing that he knows how to use it, I started putting milk in the cup at one feeding on the first day.  He didn't really like the coldness of the milk, at first.  He's used to his bottle being rather warm, so I imagine the cold milk will take him a bit of time to get used to.  Over the past three days, I have switched out all of his bottles with cow's milk except for his evening bottle.  That one is still formula, and I'll probably keep that one as is until Jonathan and I get back from our trip to NYC (which is less than three weeks away, people!!!).

Liam is still taking two naps.  His morning nap is usually around 10:00 (might be a bit later if he sleeps in), but he'll nap anywhere from 45 minutes to 1.5 hours.  It's usually about an hour, though.  In the afternoon, he and Nora go down for a nap around 2:30.  If it's a good day, he'll sleep until 4:00, but there are some days where he's wide awake at 3:30, and then there's today, where it's 5:15 and I just heard him talking in his crib!  Oh happy nap day!

Liam loves bathtime.
Liam loves his sister.
Liam loves to throw a ball.
Liam loves to push a truck or car or anything with wheels.
Liam absolutely love his Momma. (he he, I'm his favorite)
Liam loves his Daddy.
Liam looks like his Daddy spit him out of his mouth.
Liam is stubborn.
Liam likes to dig in the trash, eat things off the floor, and loves to play near the toilet.

Needless to say, he is ALLLLLLLL boy!

No comments: