Monday, February 7, 2011

Flashback

Jonathan and I have been doing some cleaning and organizing around our house this past weekend, and yesterday while going through some things in our bedroom, Jonathan came across a very old, but very special picture.



This is a picture of me the night of my Candlelight.  For those of you who went to college with us, you are probably very familiar with what a Candlelight or Stringing is, but in case you didn't, let me explain.  At Mississippi College, we didn't have true Greek life with Fraternities and Sororities.  It is a Baptist College, so instead of the more traditional social life, we had what were called Ladie's Social Tribes and Men's Service Clubs.  I was a member of Swannanoa Social Tribe all four years of college, and I loved it!  It was a great way to get involved on campus, meet tons of people, and have a blast.

Anyway, whenever a girl in a tribe got engaged, she was to contact a particular person in the social tribe---the President, perhaps? I can't quite remember--so that a Candlelight could be set up.  What would happen next is that the President would then send out a massive voicemail or email to everyone in the tribe and flyers would be hung up around campus that a Candlelight was scheduled.  Everyone would then know that SOMEONE in the tribe had gotten engaged, but they wouldn't find out WHO until the unveiling at the Candlelight ceremony. 

So, late in the evening on the night of the designated Candlelight, everyone would meet in the quad (the huge, green field in the center of campus).  We would gather in a circle, a candle would be lit, and as the whole group of girls began to sing "Going to the Chapel," a lit candle would be passed around from girl to girl.  The candle would make the swoop at least once, and once the new bride-to-be received the candle for the second time, she would blow out the candle!  That's how everyone knew that SHE was the one engaged!

Then, as you can imagine, everyone would shriek and squeal and hug and rush up to see the beautiful ring.  After it all settled down, the bride-to-be would get to tell the story of how her man proposed!  It was such a special time of sharing such exciting news with friends.  And, the bride got to keep the special candle as a keepsake of the night.  The picture above is of me sharing the story of how Jonathan proposed.  I have no idea who took the picture, but I am so glad that I have it as a keepsake to remember such a fun night!

2 comments:

Jessica said...

awe what a special picture! we used to do very similar ritual for engagements too.

Stacey Hays said...

Awe...I loved candle lights. I'm pretty sure I remember yours too!