Thursday, August 18, 2011

A Day Trip to the Smokies

I like order and planning. I like to know in advance what things are going to take place. I like to have an agenda and help to make that agenda pan out. I like to think that I am spontaneous, but sometimes I just am not. Jonathan, on the other hand, likes to do things spur-of-the-moment. It's not that I don't like to, it's just that with three kiddos, it takes a lot to get out of the house. There are feedings to plan around, meals for the other two, naptime, lots of packing to make sure we have what we need, and it usually just takes time to go anywhere. It's just the nature of having three small kids under 4. But, I do have a desire to just "let go" sometimes and get going!

So, that's exactly what we did the other day! Jonathan ran a 5k last Saturday morning, and when he came home, he said, "What do you want to do today!?" I knew the answer he was looking for did not include the word "clean" or "organize" or "task." This man had fun in mind. He quickly came up with the idea of packing a picnic and heading to the Smokies to hike or go swimming at the "Y." ("Y" as in a "y" in the road/river, not as in the YMCA). So, at approximately 10:00 am, we decided to go! We packed some clothes and swimming stuff, threw together some lunch and snacks and drinks, and loaded up the kids. I am so thankful that Jonathan pushes me out of my comfort zone, to embrace fun and activities that may not be "easy," and is right there to help me!

We ended up stopping at the "Y" in Townsend to eat, and the kids were having so much fun that we stayed there all afternoon. We ate random lunches, the kids skipped their naps, and we just relaxed. It was wonderful! A much needed family time, and I am so glad that we did it. It was much better than any plan I could have come up with at home. Thank you, JB, for planning a fun and spontaneous day for our little family.

The perfect napping spot for Stella.  She snoozed almost the whole time we were there.

Checking out the surroundings.
My feet propped up, holding Stella, and reading a book while the kids played in the sand.

Our picnic spot.



Playing in the sand.

There was a large cliff just in front of where we were that everyone was jumping off of.  I asked JB if he was up for it, and of course, he was!  He still has it in him.  Here are a few shots of him jumping off!









It was a perfect summer day!  I love that we live so close to the mountains and can actually take these trips.  If only we did it more!  Here's to more spontaneous days in our future!

No comments: