Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Fruit of the Spirit

So, I know that it appears that I have totally abandoned this blog, but I promise I have not.  Between the move, the three lively kiddos that roam this house, and all of this beautiful weather we've been having, life has been busy and has yet to slow down.  I have so much to update about including our new abode, a quick family visit to Mississippi and New Orleans, and growing children, but that will have to wait.  I do, however, have a precious story to report about our about-to-be-three-years-old son.

Last night as I was putting Liam to bed, I had him repeat the fruit of the spirit with me.  I asked him to repeat after me:

"The fruit of the Spirit is: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.  These are things that God gives you."

We went through this whole thing about four times, and he loved repeating after me with much volume and gusto and expression.  His favorite thing to say was self-control (ironically, the area he probably needs the Lord's most help with at the moment).  So, I kissed him good night, gave him a good tucking in, and heading downstairs to finish cleaning the kitchen.

A few minutes later Jonathan and I were downstairs when we started hearing Liam talk through the monitor that sits on the kitchen counter.  At first it appeared that he was just talking to his entourage of stuffed "people" in his bed, but then I heard it:

".....{mumble, mumble, mumble}.....gentleness....{mumble}......"

"Jonathan, listen!"

".....kindness, gentleness......{long pause}......kindness, gentleness,....{pause}....oh my goodness, gentleness, and SELF-CONTROL."

We were crying we were laughing so hard!  What a sweet, precious boy we have.  I love how he puts things together in his mind and how much he makes us smile and laugh (among other things).  ;)
Once he had composed himself, Jonathan said, "Oh, I love that boy.  I sure hope it sticks one day."


We are praying for this little man who turns three on Friday.  Praying that the Lord fans the flame in his heart to know and love Him.  Praying that He grows much fruit of the Holy Spirit in Liam's life.  Training his heart that loves to be silly and stubborn and strong-willed to be those things for the glory of God.  Stubborn for the Gospel, holding firm in his love for God and Jesus Christ, not being swayed by the ways of the world and fear of man.  May he remain kind and gentle and affectionate.  May he maintain that sweet smile and disarming disposition that will draw others to himself and to the Lord. 

In the meantime, we are taking baby steps with this boy!  And need all of the grace and fruit of the Spirit that the Lord will lavish on us to do so.

photos courtesy of Suzanne McNeil Photography

No comments: